Tuesday, October 3, 2017

CONFESSIONAL TUESDAY: THE SHORTEST JOB I'VE EVER HELD

Once upon a time I applied to work at a cute little bakery that I really loved in my hometown. I love baking, I'm good at baking, and I thought it would be such a perfect summer job! 

Oh how wrong I was. Guess how long that job lasted. 
I worked there a whopping total of 8 hours, you guys! 

It was a night job so I went in at 9:00p.m, and trained and worked throughout the night. Among other things, I helped make pies that night and we made 40 pies! 40 pies is way too many pies for one night. Maybe it's actually not, but that seems like an awful lot to ask of someone still in training! I clocked out at 5:00 in the morning, went home to sleep for a few hours, and woke up at noon to call and say "I don't think this job is going to work out". I literally worked one shift and then called it quits! haha

My mom encouraged me to stick it out a little bit as good moms do, but I just knew those night hours would be the death of me. It's one thing to be a night owl when it entails staying up late to chit chat with friends and watch movies, but it's a whole different game trying to stand and work a physically exhausting job throughout the night. My body was definitely not designed to mix and kneed large batches of dough through the wee hours of the night! It was so tiring!

That short time of attempting to work a night shift made me grateful for all the people who choose to work night shifts so the world can keep on spinning. Security guards, night cleaners, bakers, police officers, dispatchers, fire fighters, 24-7 store clerks, nurses, doctors, all the people who I forget are making sure the world still functions even when I'm cozy in bed all night. 

I clearly could never do it, so it's beautiful that there are people who do.

No comments:

Post a Comment