Friday, October 3, 2014

A WEEKEND TRIP: Yellowstone National Park

This last weekend I went to Yellowstone National Park with my good friend Alex Fisher. This is the second time I've been to Yellowstone and I couldn't have asked for a better day! It was overcast, drizzling off and on all day, and beautiful! Luckily, I brought my umbrella and happened to have two ponchos in my emergency car kit. I knew those would come in handy one day.

For some reason, I've only ever been to Yellowstone in September but I can't complain because September is beautiful just about anywhere, but especially in Yellowstone. One day I'll experience Yellowstone in the spring and summertime.

DAY 1: YELLOWSTONE


DAY 2: BEAR WORLD

Bear World is one of the most magical places in Idaho and to think I lived just 10 miles from it for 2 years and just barely went is crazy! When you first get into the park you drive through a section that has more mellow creatures: deer, elk, buffalo, etc. Then you approach a big gate that separates all the bears from the rest of the animals. An employee stands outside the gate to kindly remind you to always keep your car moving, even if there is a bear sitting in front of your car. He also tells you to keep all your windows rolled up.


Almost immediately going through the gate we saw a bear and I may or may not have started crying. Like full on crying. I used to question people who would "cry out of joy" because that's obviously not a thing, right? Well, when we went through that gate and I saw a bear just sitting on his bum to the left of us in the field and another playing in the river with only her head sticking out of the water, I cried out of joy. It was a strange but beautiful moment that caught me off guard. I apologized to Alex saying "I'm sorry I'm crying. I don't know why I'm crying." and he just smiled and said "I actually kind of figured you would cry." He knows me too well, I suppose. 

(For those who don't know, I love bears. If I was going to be an animal I would definitely be a black bear. If I can be picky though, I would be a black bear in the Sierra Nevada. Although I love bears and watch a lot of bear documentaries, if I saw a bear in the wild, I would still probably have a mini heart attack, so watching them safely from my car was a dream come true.) 

...And then we found the baby bear cubs!

Bear World currently has 6 baby bears that are all 6 months old and as cute as can be! Alex and I watched them play with each other, drink from their river, knock each other off this tree branch pictured above, and scratch their bums against just about everything they could find. They were adorable and I could have stayed there for hours watching them, even if it was sprinkling.

I also fulfilled one of my lifelong dreams, I got to bottle feed a baby bear! I actually bottle fed 6 baby bears and I couldn't have been happier. 

This particular bear kept standing up because he wanted to play instead of eat. I was a little apprehensive feeding him.

This last weekend was a perfect weekend that I'll remember for years to come. I mean, how often do you feed little baby bear cubs out of a bottle? 
A refreshing day in nature with a good friend, nothing can beat that.

No comments:

Post a Comment